FREAKY Friday November 13th
is the 318th day of the year. There are 48 days remaining until the end of the year
Today is .. World Kindness Day, Actor’s Day, National Chicken Nugget Day, National Hug a Musician Day, Friday, the 13th, National Start A Rumor Day and Caregiver Appreciation Day (second one of year)
There are 13 days remaining until Thanksgiving
There are 14 days remaining until Black Friday
There are 42 days remaining until Xmas
– North Carolina’s Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute claims businesses lose up to $900 million in sales and productivity on a Friday the 13th
– 40% of people would not feel comfortable getting married on Friday the 13th (the
— On this date in 1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote to his friend, “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes”
— On this date in 1805, the frankfurter sausage was created
— On this date in 1974, Ronald DeFeo, Jr. murdered his family in Amityville, New York (Amityville Horror)
— On this date in 1982, The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated in Washington
– US Weekly Magazine says The Weeknd is going to perform at halftime of the Super Bowl on February 7th in Tampa
– The Daily Mail says Floridians jet skied through flooded streets yesterday because of Tropical Storm Eta. The storm brought winds of 70 miles per hour and massive flooding to the state’s West coast.
– NBC says Al Roker is recovering at home from prostate cancer surgery. He tweeted, “Relieved to let you all know that my #prostatecancer surgery is done and [I’m] back home. A big shoutout to everyone at the #josierobertsonsurgerycenter and appreciate all the thoughts and wishes from our viewers and the wonderful care packages from my co-workers. See you all soon.”
– The Action Network says Sylvester Stallone’s used Nike boxing boots from ”Rocky 3” were auctioned off last night for $19,200
– The Daily Star says a lock of Elvis Presley’s hair is expected to be auctioned off for $7,800. His barber swept the hair up after cutting it in 1977. The hair was mounted on a card and sold to an Elvis fan in the UK. He is now selling the hair
– NBC says Walmart’s website temporarily crashed yesterday after the Sony PlayStation 5 was released online for sale. The console quickly sold out. The PlayStation 5 costs $400 and is already being resold online for as much as $800
– Delish magazine says Costco is celebrating Thanksgiving with a five-pound pumpkin cheesecake that is garnished with a spiced sour cream topping. The cheesecake sells for $15
Walmart Offering Dog Walking: Business Insider says Walmart is expanding and plans to offer dog walking, pet insurance and pet sitting. Walmart is contracting with 300,000 dog walkers across America.
Selena Gomez has accepted the leading role in the upcoming film, In The Shadow Of The Mountain. It’s based on Vásquez-Lavado’s upcoming autobiography of the same name. The film will tell her life story, including how she survived sexual abuse while growing up in Peru.
Flying Is Cheaper On Friday The 13th: A survey by Kayak.com reveals that flying on Friday the 13th is 14% cheaper than on any other day. The savings are due to a collective fear of flying on the unluckiest day of the year. A Kayak spokesperson tells the Daily Telegraph: “Flight prices are, of course, based on demand, so the data indicates that people really are superstitious enough that they would prefer not to fly on Friday 13th.”
The flight comparison site Momondo says flights are 33% cheaper on Friday the 13th. The price of hotel rooms stays the same
Have No Fear: The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute estimates that $800 to $900 million is lost every time a Friday the 13th occurs. They say most of the loss stems from travelers, who avoid doing business or flying on Friday the 13th. National Geographic says between 17 million and 21 million people in the U.S. suffer from a fear related to the day.
Top 10 Fears, Superstitions and Signs of Bad Luck
- Breaking a mirror
- Walking under a ladder
- Friday 13th
- Opening an umbrella indoors
- A black cat crossing your path
- The sight of a single magpie
- Spilling salt
- Placing shoes on the table or on the bed
- Treading on cracks in the pavement
- Walking over three drains
Cheetos Holiday Cookbook: Marketing Dive says Cheetos is selling a Limited Edition holiday cookbook called “Bon-Appe-Cheetos: A Holiday Cookbook by Chester & Friends.” The cookbook can be purchased by making a $35 donation to the World Central Kitchen. The cookbook is available on Cheetos’ website and has recipes for Cheetos cheese balls, Flamin Hot Tamales, popcorn balls, a Cheetos Mountain Dew drink, a Cheetos pumpkin pie and Cheetos mac and cheese
Perdue Launching Turkey Nuggets To Make Thanksgiving Easier: Business Insider says Perdue is selling turkey nuggets for Thanksgiving. The limited edition nuggets are called ThanksNuggets. The dark meat nuggets taste like cranberry sauce and stuffing while the white meat nuggets have hints of sweet potato.
Whiskey Bottle Xmas Tree: The NY Post says Jameson Irish Whiskey has created a Christmas tree made out of empty whiskey bottles. Over 130 whiskey bottles were fastened together in order to create the $5,000 tree. Jameson is giving it away as part of a contest on their website.
Fed Ex Driver Buys New Hoop For Young Boy: WLKY says a FedEx driver from Ohio is being hailed as a hero for surprising a young boy with a new basketball hoop. Caledo Wheeler says the driver noticed her son’s hoop was broken down and on its last legs so he purchased a new one and a ball. He left a FedEx card that read, “Just wanted you and your son to have the best hoop that will grow with him and all his friends. It’s wonderful that you shoot hoops with him.”
Today’s Mindbender: “The average person will spend 9 hours and 17 minutes doing this during the holiday season (Thanksgiving – New Year’s). What is it?”
Extra Clue: do it for others
Extra Clue: not shopping
Final Clue: smells good
Answer: cooking in the kitchen
Thursday’s History Lesson: November 12th is the 317th day of the year. There are 49 days remaining until the end of the year
Today is .. National French Dip Day, Chicken Soup for the Soul Day, National Pizza With Everything (Except Anchovies) Day, Happy Hour Day, World Pneumonia Day and National Stan Lee Day
There are 14 days remaining until Thanksgiving
There are 15 days remaining until Black Friday
There are 18 days remaining until Cyber Monday
There are 43 days remaining until Xmas
— On this date in 1745, the first “Happy Hour” was held in an Irish pub
— On this date in 1946, the first bank drive-thru opened
— On this date in 1993, Michael Jackson canceled a world tour because of a dependence on painkillers
R&B star Omarion (36)
Anne Hathaway (38)
Ryan Gosling (40)
Tonya Harding (50)
Sammy Sosa (52)
Christina Aguilera Signs With Jay-Z’s Roc Nation
On this date in 2019, Disney’s new streaming service, Disney +, launched. Thirty minutes after launching the website and app were hit by technical difficulties and started giving people error codes
Naked Cowboy was recently performing in Times Square when a man ran up and gave him a wedgie. The famed Cowboy fell to the ground as his underwear ripped. The prankster taunted him before running off
Nicolas Cage’s 1967 Ford Mustang from the movie ”Gone in 60 Seconds” is up for sale. The gray and black Stang has gold rims. Five of the cars were made for the film. The car is expected to sell for more than 300,000
the U.S. reported more than 136,000 new coronavirus cases yesterday. That’s a new single day record. Coronavirus hospitalizations in the U.S. are at their highest level since the pandemic began.
– The NY Post says this weekend’s Maryland-Ohio State football game has been canceled because of the coronavirus.
– Billboard magazine says ”American Idol” is returning to ABC on Sunday, February 14th
– The Daily Mail says the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is going up on Saturday. The 11-ton Norway spruce is 75 feet tall.
– The Daily Mail says this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is going to take place along just one block in New York City. The parade will feature pre-taped Broadway performances, the Rockettes and Santa Claus. The streets around the parade are going to be closed off because of the coronavirus. Performers will socially distance.
– Brand Eating says Hostess is celebrating the holidays by bringing back Mint Chocolate Twinkies. The chocolate Twinkies have a green mint cream filling and are available for a limited time
– The NY Post says UPS is lifting its ban on beards. The company says “These changes reflect our values and desire to have all UPS employees feel comfortable, genuine and authentic while providing service to our customers and interacting with the general public.” UPS workers had launched online petitions to get the company to end their ban on beards. One petition had over 9,200 signatures
– The Wrap says Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to star in a new spy series for Netflix. No details are known except that the storyline revolves around a father and his daughter.
96 Year-Old Vet Goes Skydiving For Veterans Day: WLKY says 96 year-old Peter Bielskis, of Kansas City, celebrated Veterans Day yesterday with a tandem skydive jump. He is 96 and served as an Army Staff Sergeant in World War II. Navy Seals and Purple Heart recipients led the all-Veteran jump.
Cruise Ship Passenger Tests Positive For Coronavirus: The NY Post says a passenger on the first Caribbean cruise since March has tested positive for the coronavirus. The SeaDream 1 was anchored in the Grenadines when the captain told passengers and crew members to stay in their rooms because of the positive covid-19 test. The sick passenger says they felt ill leading up to their test.
Reynolds Wrap Offers Chocolate Turkey Recipe For Thanksgiving: The Daily Mail says Reynolds Wrap went viral yesterday after they released recipes for a chocolate turkey, a gingerbread turkey and a pecan encrusted turkey.
The chocolate-covered turkey has a cocoa barbecue sauce that’s made from brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, onion powder, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder. It’s garnished with chocolate chips, fresh fruit and chocolate shavings.
The gingerbread turkey is encrusted with crushed gingerbread cookies.
Mountain Dew Cookbook: Chewboom says Mountain Dew is selling a new cookbook that features recipes that use their drink. Among the more popular recipes are ones for green grilled cheese, Dew-infused pickles, Mountain Dew brisket, Mountain Dew brined Turkey, Mountain Dew fruitcake, Mountain Dew slushies and Mountain Dew jalapeno poppers. The $30 cookbook is available on Mountain Dew’s website
998-Carat Diamond Found In Mine: The Robb Report says a 998-carat diamond has been found in Botswana. It is the fifth largest diamond ever found. The Lucara Diamond Corporation of Canada found the rock in a mine. It is 2.6 in by 1.8 in. The gem is worth over $63 million.
5 Year-Old Saves Mom’s Life: WRIC says a five-year-old Hopewell, Virginia girl is being hailed as a hero for saving her mother’s life. Lashaunastey Turberville started feeling ill so she laid down and then couldn’t move. Her daughter, Dehvea Boxley, called 911 to get help for her. Medics quickly arrived and took Turberville to a local hospital. She suffered a hypoglycemic reaction after her blood sugar levels dipped dangerously low. Her daughter’s call saved her life.
Man Proposes With Big Mac: The Daily Mirror says Alina Dumova recently posted a video on Tik Tok of her boyfriend proposing to her with a Big Mac. He placed her engagement ring in the top of the bun before she opened the box and accepted his proposal.
“20% of women say men, who eat this on a regular basis are wimpy. What is it?”
Extra Clue: healthy
Extra Clue: women usually eat it
Final Clue: green